MONTRÉAL, Jan. 10, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - The Autorité des marchés financiers (the "AMF"), following a call for candidates (in French only) launched in July 2018, today announced the composition of its Financial Products and Services Consumer Advisory Committee (the "Committee").
"Strengthening our role as a local regulator close to its markets is one of the orientations in our 2017-2020 Strategic Plan," said Louis Morisset, AMF President and Chief Executive Officer. "The Committee's work will also bring the AMF closer to consumer issues and concerns and enable the AMF to give them greater consideration when assisting consumers, providing oversight and administering laws. The structured dialogue within the Committee, combined with our ongoing dialogue with the industry, will enhance the perspective required by the AMF to continue to ensure a well-functioning financial sector," added Mr. Morisset.
The mandate of the Committee is to present the views of financial consumers to the AMF. The Committee members are drawn from various sectors and professions and have a particular interest in defending and promoting the rights of consumers.
The Committee members are tasked with helping to identify and analyze AMF policies, rules, guidelines and other publications where they are likely to affect financial consumers; making any recommendations they deem useful regarding those publications; and presenting the AMF with their observations and recommendations regarding any topic of concern to financial consumers.
The Committee was created as part of the measures that came into effect on July 13, 2018 with the Act mainly to improve the regulation of the financial sector, the protection of deposits of money and the operation of financial institutions (S.Q. 2018, c. 23).
The members of the Committee are:
- Francis Barragan. Mtre. Barragan is Corporate Strategy Advisor at Éducaloi
- Brigitte Boutin. Ms. Boutin is a retired lawyer and former Deputy Ombudsman, Banking Services, at the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (OBSI)
- Raymonde Crête. Mtre. Crête is associate professor and Director of the Financial Services Law Research Group (GRDSF) at Laval University's Faculty of Law
- Willie Gagnon. Mr. Gagnon is Director of the Mouvement d'éducation et de défense des actionnaires (MÉDAC)
- Maryse Guénette. Ms. Guénette is Research and Presentation Director at Option consommateurs
- Audrey Létourneau. Mtre. Létourneau is a partner at the law firm LLB Avocats, s.e.n.c.r.l.
- Cynthia Lizotte. Ms. Lizotte is a teacher at Collège de l'Assomption
- Laurence Marget. Ms. Marget is Executive Director of the Groupe de recherche en animation et planification économique (GRAPE) and President of the Coalition des associations de consommateurs du Québec (CACQ)
- Patrick Mignault. Mr. Mignault is associate professor and Vice-Dean of Research and Graduate Studies at Sherbrooke University's Faculty of Law
The Autorité des marchés financiers is the regulatory and oversight body for Québec's financial sector.
Sylvain Théberge: 514-940-2176
Québec City: 418-525-0337
LinkedIn: Autorité des marchés financiers (Québec)
View original content: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2019/10/c7613.html